
Uncover the Magic: Dar Rbab Fes - Morocco's Hidden Gem
Uncover the Magic: Dar Rbab Fes - My Fes Fiasco (and Why It's Actually Genius) - A Review That's Real
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this review of Dar Rbab Fes in Morocco is gonna be less polished travel brochure and more…well, me. I’ve just come back from a trip that was 80% breathtaking, 20% “what did I eat?” and the Dar Rbab? It was right in the thick of it.
First Impressions (and a little Getting Lost):
Accessibility. Okay, let's be honest, Fes is not built for the mobility-impaired. The medina is a maze, and Dar Rbab itself, being a beautifully restored riad, has that classic Moroccan charm of narrow doorways and… a lot of stairs. Accessibility: This is not the place for you if you need easy access. The elevator, while present (phew!), could be a tight squeeze. So, let me be clear: if wheels are your thing, do your research.
But, god, arrival was something. Getting to the place? That was a whole other adventure. My flight was delayed, I arrived at the Fes airport looking like a drowned rat, and the taxi driver, bless his heart, clearly thought the medina was just a suggestion for navigation. I was convinced I was being taken in circles. He eventually dropped me off near what I thought was the right alley. I stumbled around for a good twenty minutes, dragging my suitcase over uneven cobblestones, asking for directions (in my terrible French, which only confused the locals). I was starting to sweat, I was hungry, and I was beginning to question all my life choices. A helpful local eventually escorted me the last few steps, and finally, there it was: the Dar Rbab. And whew did the doorman (or should I say, the knight in shining… djellaba?) help! They’re like, "Welcome! Here, let me take that."
The Good Stuff (and OMG, the Breakfast!):
Internet? Okay, let’s talk about that vital travel necessity: the Wi-Fi. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And in the public areas too. Nice. Internet access – LAN and Internet Services were available, but I'm a minimalist, so the Wi-Fi was all I needed. It was surprisingly strong throughout the riad, even in my room, which, considering the thick walls, was a pleasant surprise. I could actually stream Netflix while trying to recover from the harrowing taxi ride.
And now for the holy grail of riads: breakfast. Breakfast [buffet]! Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, Coffee/tea in restaurant…I think I may have eaten my weight in pastries. The spread was truly impressive, from fresh juices and strong coffee to local delicacies and perfectly cooked eggs. The little jars of homemade jam were divine. Breakfast in room? Absolutely, if you felt like it. They had a Breakfast takeaway service too, which I highly considered one morning after overdoing it on the local wine.
Cleanliness and Safety? Feeling like I was in a fort against the outside world. Daily Disinfection in common areas, and rooms sanitized between stays, Hand sanitizer everywhere. Professional-grade sanitizing services. It felt like someone was constantly wiping things down, which, given my medina adventure of questionable hygiene, was VERY welcome. Rooms sanitized between stays put my mind at ease. Anti-viral cleaning products made me breathe a little easier. They had a doctor/nurse on call, as well as a first aide kit. Felt like a secure place to rest. They also had Safe dining setup with Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. Felt like they really took the situation seriously, which a lot of businesses, which made me feel more comfortable to be honest.
Room Bliss (and Maybe a Little Over-Indulgence):
My room? Non-smoking, thank god because I sure don't. It was gorgeous. The Air conditioning was a lifesaver after a day in the souks. The Blackout curtains were my best friends after a hard night of the same. The Bathrobes, chef's kiss. Bathrobes. Let's be real, they are the ultimate luxury. The Mini bar (hello, extra bottled water) and Free bottled water. The In-room safe box gave me peace of mind while visiting the souks and the Coffee/tea maker I could use even with the Complimentary tea. Every single day. Every day. Hair dryer – a must! The Shower was amazing. The Slippers were fluffy. The Wi-Fi [free] was fast. The Desk had somewhere I could work. The Seating area was perfect for relaxing. The Soundproofing blocked out the medina's hustle and bustle…most of the time. Wake-up service was reliable (which I needed, after all those pastries). And the Toiletries were actually good quality.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (and a near-death experience in the Spa):
Spa/sauna. Oh, the spa! Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap. It was calling my name. I'm not usually a spa person, but the stress levels of the medina got to me, and, okay, I wanted to try it. The Steamroom was great. The Foot bath was lovely. There was even a Swimming pool [outdoor] which they said they had, but with the weather, I chickened out. They had the Pool with view I could have enjoyed from the terrace if I chose too.
I booked myself a massage. Looked so promising. The masseuse was incredibly kind, but I kept getting the giggles. Maybe it was the incense. Maybe it was the sheer ridiculousness of being in a spa in the first place. I was more tense at the end of the massage than at the beginning, which is a review of the service for sure.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (and My Souk-Induced Panic):
Restaurants! Yep. They had a restaurant. A la carte in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant. Poolside bar perfect a quick treat. Room service [24-hour] - a lifesaver after a long day of bargaining. And, oh, the desserts! The chocolate cake was a gift from the gods. They had Coffee/tea in restaurant everywhere. Desserts in restaurant.
Things to do? Things to do There's a Gift/souvenir shop. Concierge with all of my questions. Dry cleaning, Laundry service, Ironing service, which I appreciated. Cash withdrawal and currency exchange were available.
Services and Conveniences (Because Life Is Hard):
Cashless payment service. Okay, I'm a sucker for convenience! Daily housekeeping, so my room was always a sanctuary. The 24-hour front desk was comforting, and they had Luggage storage. Facilities for disabled guests were available. There was a Convenience store. All of this was great.
For the Kids (if you dare bring the little ones):
Family/child friendly. Babysitting service? Maybe. Kids facilities? They seemed to welcome children, but, again, all those stairs…
Getting Around (and the Taxi Conundrum):
Airport transfer. This is a MUST. DO IT. Learn from my mistakes. I highly recommend arranging a transfer through the hotel. Taxi service was available, but, honestly, the medina is walkable (though challenging), and you’ll probably never use it around the area, unless you take advantage of the Valet parking offer. They had Car park [free of charge] but it's not like you need one around the area.
Would I Recommend Dar Rbab Fes?
Yes, but with caveats.
The Verdict: Dar Rbab Fes is a beautiful, stylish riad, offering a taste of luxury in the heart of a chaotic and amazing city. It isn't perfect. It's old. It has its quirks. But it's also charming, comfortable, and the staff is lovely. The breakfast alone makes it worth it! The location is fantastic, once you actually find it. The rooms are beautifully appointed, and the whole place has a sense of calm.
Final Thoughts (and My Sales Pitch):
Uncover the Magic: Dar Rbab Fes – Your Fes Fortress of Fabulous!
Here's why you should book it:
- Because the breakfast will change your life (seriously).
- Because the staff will treat you like royalty (even if you arrive looking like a drowned rat).
- Because it's a beautiful sanctuary in the middle of a crazy, vibrant city.
- Because the rooms are gorgeous, and, after all

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your sanitized travel brochure. This is Dar Rbab, Fes, Morocco, unfiltered, and it's gonna get… well, let's just say it's going to be me, rambling, probably getting lost, and maybe shedding a tear over a particularly delicious tagine. Here we go:
Dar Rbab Fes: My Week of Glorious Chaos (and Probable Regret)
Day 1: Arrival and the "Holy Crap, I'm Actually Here" Moment
Morning (7:00 AM, approx.): Arrive at Fes-Saïss Airport. I'm already running late because, naturally, I woke up thinking I was in a parallel universe. Jet lag, thy name is…well, it's jet lag. Finding a taxi is a chaotic ballet of shouting and haggling. I, being the seasoned traveler (read: disastrously directionally challenged human) I am, somehow manage to negotiate a fare that's probably too high, but at this point, I just want to get to Dar Rbab. My driver, a man named Omar with a smile that could melt glaciers, assures me this is "the best riad" (translation: he's probably just trying to sell me carpets later).
Mid-Morning (9:00 AM): Arrival at Dar Rbab. The door… it’s huge. Carved wood, ornate metalwork, and a tiny key that feels like it belongs to a wizard’s lair. The air inside is immediately different. Cooler, fragranced with something warm and spicy, maybe cinnamon? The riad itself is…wow. Photos don't do it justice. Courtyard with a fountain, intricately tiled walls, and a balcony overlooking… well, I don't know yet, but it's already promising.
Late Morning (10:00 AM): Settled in. My room is enormous! Four-poster bed, giant windows, and a bathroom that’s fancier than my actual apartment. Instantly take a nap after realizing I need to rehydrate.
Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch at the riad. They have this incredible chicken tagine, with preserved lemons and olives. It's so good, I actually embarrassed myself by scraping the plate clean. I'm going to dream of that tagine for the rest of my life. It's a religious experience. Seriously, I think I heard angels singing.
Afternoon (3:00 PM): Attempt to navigate the Fes medina…alone. Wish me luck. This is where the real adventure begins… or where I get spectacularly lost. I decide to bravely head out into the labyrinthine madness of the medina. I get lost. A lot. I stumble upon a leather tannery. The smell… initially overwhelming, like a thousand wet dogs. Then, I see the vibrant colors. It's an assault on the senses, in the best possible way. It's gross, but totally fascinating. They dye the leather in massive vats of natural dyes. Workers are knee deep, and it's all an age-old tradition.
Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner at a restaurant that’s apparently really famous. I spend the entire dinner trying not to embarrass myself in front of the couple next to me who look like they're on their honeymoon. (Verdict: Failed). It was delicious. So worth.
Day 2: The Leather Tanning Tango and Mint Tea Mania
- Morning (9:00 AM): Back to the tannery, this time with a guide (thank god!). Much less disoriented, therefore, much more able to appreciate the whole scene of leather dyeing. I'm fascinated. Witnessing the process, from the initial soaking to the final drying, is a masterclass in craftsmanship. I leave with a leather purse. Pretty sure I got swindled, but I don’t care. It's a souvenir from a place that's already woven its magic.
- Mid-Morning (11:00 AM): Mint Tea. Everywhere. I’m hopelessly addicted. Every store, every café, every person I meet offers me a glass of this elixir. It's sweet, refreshing, and the perfect antidote to the sensory overload that is Fes. I will miss this more than words can express.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Cooking class! I am a terrible cook. Seriously. I once set toast on fire. But, the instructor, a wonderful woman named Fatima, is patient and kind. We learn to make couscous, tagine (of course!), and a delicious orange salad. I’m actually proud of myself.
- Afternoon (4:00 PM): Explore the Mellah, the old Jewish quarter. Heartbreaking yet fascinating. The architecture is different from the rest of the medina, reflecting a different layer of history. A cemetery with ancient tombstones.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner. Another amazing tagine. Starting to think I need a tagine detox when I get home. But, no regrets.
Day 3: The Ceramics and the Souk of Dreams (and Haggling)
- Morning (9:00 AM): The Blue Gate. Walk from it to a ceramic workshop. Witness the making of intricate, beautiful ceramics. I am so tempted to buy everything. More than I can carry home. I hold back and buy a beautiful bowl, and then I feel guilty (Did I lowball the artisan?).
- Mid-Morning (11:00 AM): Souk time! This is where my haggling skills are put to the test. And where I am mostly outsmarted. But, hey, it’s all part of the experience, right? I spend hours wandering through stalls overflowing with spices, jewelry, textiles, and everything else you can imagine. I buy a rug and some spices and a ridiculous hat. I'm probably going to regret the hat.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch. Another tagine. (I’m beginning to suspect this is the only food in Morocco.)
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): A hammam (traditional bath). This is a truly unique experience. I'm scrubbed, massaged, and steamed until I'm practically boneless. I feel cleaner than I've ever felt in my life. Kind of. I emerge rosy and relaxed.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Rooftop dinner. Views. Magic hour. Beautiful, and the food is pretty good, too.
Day 4: Volubilis and Moulay Idriss (Day Trip)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Day trip to Volubilis, the Roman ruins. Absolutely stunning. It's like stepping back in time. The mosaics are breathtaking…I stand taking it all in, and consider how much I want to come back and study the region.
- Mid-Morning (10:00 AM): We stop at Moulay Idriss, a beautiful town perched on a hillside. I'm mesmerized.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch at a small cafe, with amazing views.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): More exploring, more photos.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Back in Fes. Time to watch the street performers as I eat.
Day 5: More Medina Madness and Unexpected Encounters
- Morning (9:00 AM): More wandering the medina. I get lost, again. This time, I actually find a hidden courtyard with a gorgeous mosaic fountain. A local offers me mint tea and tries to sell me camel leather poufs. I say maybe.
- Mid-Morning (11:00 AM): A moment of quiet reflection, sitting in a peaceful garden.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Another Tagine, but this time, I try the local street fare.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): Discover a spice shop. A sensory overload of scents and colors. Buy enough spices to make me a Moroccan magician.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Cultural Performance. I understand nothing, but I love it.
Day 6: The Art and the Aching Feet
- Morning (9:00 AM): Explore a museum filled with historical art.
- Mid-Morning (11:00 AM): Visit the Dar Batha Museum.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM): I have a massage. My feet are killing me from all the walking.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Farewell dinner.
Day 7: Departure (and the Post-Moroccan Blues)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up, and the first thing I do is look at the courtyard for one last time. I feel that something has changed in me.
- Morning (8:00 AM): Taxi to the airport. I still didn't buy enough spices!
- **Morning (9:

Dar Rbab Fes: You're Thinking "Morocco? Again?" -- Well, Maybe Not!
Okay, spill the beans! What *actually* makes Dar Rbab Fes a 'hidden gem'? Because, let's be real, Morocco is *everywhere* on Instagram.
So, it's... authentic? Because everyone *says* that. Is it *actually* authentic, or just "authentic-lite" for the tourists?
Tell me about the rooms. Are they... *clean*? Because, let's be honest, that's a major concern.
Let's talk about the food. The online reviews are raving. Did the tagine actually live up to the hype? Because "best tagine ever" is a strong claim.
What's the location like? Is it easy to get around? Because getting lost in a Moroccan medina... sounds a bit intimidating.
What's the vibe? Relaxed and chill? Or more... structured?
Any downsides? Be honest! Because nothing is perfect.

