
Vientiane's BEST Hidden Gem Hostel (Near Thai Embassy!)
Vientiane's BEST Hidden Gem Hostel (Near Thai Embassy!): A Review That's Actually Useful (and a Little Bit Crazy)
Okay, so, you're looking for a hostel in Vientiane? You've stumbled upon the fabled "BEST Hidden Gem Hostel (Near Thai Embassy!)"? Buckle up, buttercup, because this isn't your average cookie-cutter review. This is real life, folks, and I'm about to spill the tea (and probably some Lao coffee) on this place.
First Impressions: Accessibility & Location…Let's Get Real.
Alright, let's be honest, the "Hidden Gem" part is absolutely true. Finding this place is like a treasure hunt, but in a good way! It's tucked away, so you escape the crazy traffic and noise. Location near the Thai Embassy is GREAT, especially if you're visa-seeking (like I was, sweating bullets). Accessibility-wise… hmm. They say "Facilities for disabled guests" exist, but I didn't see a sprawling ramp leading to the front door. Double-check if mobility is a major concern. I didn't get a vibe, but the vibe is based on assumptions.
Cleanliness & Safety - Did They Actually Clean This Place?! (Spoiler: Mostly Yes!)
Look, in Southeast Asia, cleanliness is a spectrum. But this hostel, folks, mostly hits the mark. Anti-viral cleaning products? Daily disinfection in common areas? Hand sanitizer strategically placed everywhere you look? YES, YES, and YES! The rooms are reasonably clean, and I actually saw staff wiping down surfaces. Feeling safe is HUGE. The staff are trained in safety protocol. However, let's be honest, perfect isn't a local expectation, this hostel nails it. CCTV in common areas and outside the property? Score! Fire extinguishers and smoke alarms? Check and check! Rooms sanitized between stays? They claim it, and I'd like to believe it. Hygiene certification? I can't confirm, but I felt fine.
Rooms & Amenities: From Basic to 'Oh, That's Nice!'
Okay, room time. Air conditioning - THANK GOD! Vientiane is HOT. The Wi-Fi [free] is a lifesaver (more on that later). My room had a window that opens (essential for fresh air, although I had to shoo away a persistent gecko one night - more on THAT later). Air conditioning in public area? Yup. In room safe box? Sweet! Complimentary tea and free bottled water - a nice touch!
Now the nitty-gritty:
- The beds: Okay, they're hostel beds. Don't expect a cloud. But they're clean, and I slept soundly.
- Bathroom: Private bathroom, which is always a win in my book. The hot water worked MOST of the time. Remember, this is REAL LIFE, not the Ritz! Towels, toiletries? Yep, basic but functional.
- Extra long bed is available.
- Wake-up service? Yeah, probably. I just set my own alarm.
- Soundproofing? Okay-ish. You'll hear the occasional tuk-tuk or motorbike, but generally, it's peaceful.
Internet: The Lifeblood of a Modern Traveler.
Wi-Fi [free] in all rooms! Praise the internet gods! The Wi-Fi was surprisingly good, especially considering the price point. I could actually video call my mom without the connection cutting out every five seconds. Complimentary tea? Yes, and it's good, strong tea, perfect for those late-night work sessions. Internet services? I didn't need anything fancy, but they seemed to have the basics. Internet access – LAN - I wasn't looking for LAN, so I couldn't find that, but Wi-Fi was good.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling Your Adventures!
Okay, let's talk food. Breakfast [buffet]? Yes, and it's included! But it's a simple Asian buffet, not some decadent spread. Expect some noodles, maybe some eggs, fruit, and coffee. Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant? Yup. Coffee/tea in restaurant? Of course! Poolside bar, snack bar? They had drinks. I can't lie, the happy hour was a godsend after a long day of temple hopping. Restaurants in house? Yes. I didn't see a vegetarian focused restaurant, but there are options nearby.
The Pool: My Personal Paradise (Sort Of)
The Swimming pool [outdoor] and pool with a view (sort of) are a huge selling point. Seriously, after a day of exploring the sweltering city, jumping into that pool was like a religious experience. I'd seriously stay here JUST for the pool. But let me tell you a story from that pool: There was this…thing…that fell into it.
The Staff: Your Angels (and Sometimes Their Quirks)
The staff were generally friendly and helpful. They were actually really patient with my attempts to speak Lao (which were, admittedly, terrible). Front desk [24-hour]? Yes! Concierge? Sort of! They helped me with everything from booking a bus ticket to recommending the best places to eat. Laundry service? They have one, and it's fairly priced.
Things To Do, Ways To Relax, Spa-ish Stuff? (Don't Expect a Resort, People!)
Okay, let's be clear: this isn't a spa resort. But they DO have a massage service. I didn't try it, but after a day of exploring, I was sorely tempted. Steamroom, sauna, body scrub, body wraps? Not here. Gym/fitness? No. Foot bath? No. The main ways to relax involve the pool and hanging out with a beer.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
This hostel has a decent array of services, from daily housekeeping to luggage storage. They also have currency exchange (convenient!), a convenience store (for snacks!), and laundry service. Airport transfer is available, which is a huge plus. Doorman? Nope. Safety deposit boxes? Yes. Cash withdrawal? Yes. Dry cleaning? No. The basics are covered.
For the Kids (and the Young at Heart)
I didn't see the kids' stuff, but the hostel seem family friendly.
Getting Around (and Parking):
Car park [free of charge]? Yes. Taxi service? Available. Bicycle parking? Maybe. I didn't see a dedicated area, but I'm sure they'd accommodate.
The Quirky Bits & Bobs:
- The Gecko Incident: One night, I was reading in bed when a gecko decided to join the party. I screamed like a little girl (which, let's be real, I kind of am). The staff was super understanding and even offered to move me to another room.
- The Laundry Struggle: The laundry service was efficient, but I somehow managed to shrink my favorite t-shirt. Lesson learned: always double-check the laundry instructions!
- The Breakfast Routine: Every morning, I'd be greeted by the same smiling face at the breakfast buffet. It's the little things, folks.
The Verdict: Should You Book This Hostel?
Absolutely! If you're looking for a clean, safe, and well-located hostel in Vientiane, this is a great choice. It's not fancy, but it's comfortable, and the staff are lovely. The pool is a major bonus, and the free Wi-Fi is a lifesaver.
The Offer - Your Chance to Experience Vientiane's Best Hidden Gem!
Book your stay at Vientiane's BEST Hidden Gem Hostel (Near Thai Embassy!) and receive:
- 10% off your first night's stay! (Use code HIDDENGEM at checkout!)
- Free daily breakfast! (Fuel up for your adventures!)
- Complimentary welcome drink upon arrival! (Relax, unwind, and plan your day!)
- Insider tips and recommendations from our friendly staff! (Discover the real Vientiane!)
But Hurry! This offer is for a limited time only! Escape the ordinary and discover the charm of Vientiane at the BEST Hidden Gem Hostel. Book now and experience the magic for yourself!
(And maybe, just maybe, you'll encounter a friendly gecko, too!)
Escape to Paradise: Hotel Bernina Hospiz Poschiavo's Unforgettable Swiss Alps Adventure
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the glorious, chaotic mess that was my time at Hide and Seek Hostel in Vientiane. Forget perfect itineraries, we're aiming for “slightly organized pandemonium.”
A Hide and Seek Hostel Vientiane Odyssey (aka My Brain on Lao Beer and Mosquito Bites):
Day 1: Arrival - From Saigon to… Well, Here.
- 10:00 AM: Landed in Vientiane. Okay, let’s be honest, it wasn't the smoothest immigration process. A very official-looking lady gave me the stink eye for… well, I have no idea. Maybe my passport photo wasn't up to her impeccable standards? Whatever. Eventually, I got in. Yay for Laos!
- 11:00 AM: Tuk-tuk to Hide and Seek. Rode like a maniac through the heat, hair whipping everywhere, trying to shout directions to the driver who understood approximately zero English. Finally, after a solid fifteen minutes of flailing and questionable hand gestures, we arrived at this bright yellow beacon of hostel-ness. My first impression? It looked like a giant Lego brick had exploded artfully.
- 11:30 AM: Check-in. The guy at the desk – bless his sleep-deprived heart – was trying to be helpful. He was a bit… vague. "Room… yes. Fan… maybe. Mosquitoes… definitely." Sold!
- 12:00 PM: Room assignment! It's like a dorm room; clean, a little cramped, but hey, I won't complain about the tiny space I've got.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at a street-side restaurant. Found a place serving khao piak sen (rice noodle soup). I swear, it felt like clouds were forming in my mouth! So good, and the price was even better. The street-side charm was only slightly marred by the persistent (and I mean persistent) fly that kept trying to hitch a ride in my soup. Spoiler alert: He didn’t succeed. I am a champion of soup defense.
- 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Wandering. Got utterly lost. Saw a golden stupa gleaming in the sun. Bought a ridiculously cheap pair of sunglasses. Stumbled upon a temple where a monk was casually sweeping the courtyard. Felt a sudden, overwhelming urge to… learn how to sweep. (That urge quickly passed.) Just wandering and letting the city slowly sink in. It's all so different from my usual life!
- 6:00 PM: Hostel happy hour. Beerlao. Obviously. Said hello to a few other backpackers, one of whom was attempting to learn Lao from a tattered phrasebook. Turns out, "Sabaidee" is the only thing I need to know to get by for the time.
- 7:00 PM: Trying to locate the night market. Failed miserably, ending up in a dimly lit alleyway with various delicious smells wafting from I was too scared where I was going to go.
- 8:00 PM: Successfully found a delicious street food stall. Finally. I ordered a bowl of laap, and watched the world go by.
- 9:00 PM: Back to the hostel. Mosquito attack of epic proportions. Started a war. Lost the first battle. Cried a little.
- 10:00 PM: Attempted sleep. Failed.
Day 2: Temples, Tuk-Tuks, and Totally Worth It Burn-Out
- 7:00 AM: Woke up again. The mosquitoes had declared a truce. I, conversely, felt a deep, abiding hatred for all insects.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast at the hostel. Basic, but free. The communal coffee pot was a lifesaver. Needed it after the previous night's mosquito-induced insomnia.
- 9:00 AM: Temple Tour - Wat Si Saket, the cool one with the thousand tiny Buddha images. Honestly, it was breathtaking. The detail, the history, the quiet… I'm not even particularly religious, but I felt this weird sense of peace. Took a photo, which, in retrospect, I shouldn’t have done but, it was just so interesting.
- 11:00 AM: Tuk-tuked to the COPE Visitor Center. (Seriously, go there. It's a tough subject – the legacy of the Vietnam War and unexploded ordinance – but vital. I'm still processing the impact.) Feeling this deep-seated sense of respect and sadness.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch – tam mak hoong (papaya salad). Sweat like a waterfall through it. The food in Laos is just… I can't even. So, so good, and so much chili.
- 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM: Trying to visit the national museum. Tried to find it. Got hopelessly lost. Walked for miles in the blazing sun. Ended up at a random cafe nursing a mango shake and a rapidly diminishing supply of patience. The mango shake was, at least, fantastic.
- 6:00 PM: Back to the hostel, completely drained. Seriously, I think I've walked further today than I have in a month. This is why I don't do exercise, honestly.
- 7:00 PM: Tried to go to the Night Market. Tried again to find it. Got side-tracked by a street vendor selling deep-fried spring rolls with a peanut sauce that changed my life. Ended up sitting on a curb, happily gnawing on a (deliciously greasy) fried roll, watching the scooters whiz by.
- 8:00 PM: Chatted to a guy from Germany. Nice guy, but he kept trying to explain the complexities of German philosophy. My brain simply wasn't having it. Beerlaos helped.
- 9:00 PM: Attempted to sleep. Mosquitoes, round two, and this time, they’re smarter, they have learned from their failures.
- 10:00 PM: Another mosquito massacre, this time, I am the champ.
- 11:00 PM: Felt the need to get the most out of the accommodation. Finally, I was able to get some sleep.
Day 3: This is the End! (Probably)
- 8:00 AM: Final hostel breakfast: Toast, jam, and the dawning realization that I have to leave this chaotic haven.
- 9:00 AM: Packing. Which, for me, means shoving everything into my backpack with the finesse of a particularly clumsy toddler.
- 10:00 AM: Farewell to the lazy afternoon sun. Said goodbye to the hostel staff. Said goodbye to the constant buzzing of various insects. Actually, I'm going to miss the little chaos.
- 11:00 AM: Tuk-tuk to the bus station. Goodbye, Hide and Seek. Goodbye, Laos. I'll be back, probably covered in mosquito bites and with a stronger appreciation for the art of getting gloriously lost.
- 12:00 AM: Saying goodbye to Vientiane.
- 2:00 AM: My head is filled with memories of Laos.
- 3:00 AM: The bus is coming!
- 4:00 AM: I am going to Laos!
Final Thoughts:
Did everything go according to plan? Absolutely not. Did I learn anything? Probably. Will I remember this trip fondly, despite the mosquito bites and the moments of abject disorientation? Absolutely. Hide and Seek Hostel, Vientiane – you were the perfect launchpad for this beautiful, messy adventure. I'll miss you, even the mosquitoes. (Maybe).
Unbelievable Lanna Home in Chiang Mai: Sali-Kham #3 Awaits!
Vientiane's BEST Hidden Gem Hostel (Near Thai Embassy!) – The Hot Mess FAQs
Okay, spill the beans. Is this "Hidden Gem" *actually* a hidden gem, or just another backpacker purgatory?
Alright, alright, settle down, drama queen. Okay, yes, it's a gem. A slightly tarnished, maybe-needs-a-bit-of-polishing gem, but a gem nonetheless. I stumbled upon it after a *disaster* of a bus trip (don't ask) and was so thrilled to find a bed that wasn't actively trying to kill me. The location near the Thai Embassy? Brilliant! Handy for visa runs, obviously. Less brilliant if you're trying to lie low from… well, let's just say “investigations.” (Hypothetically speaking, of course…)
What's the vibe? Party animal central, or more, "quietly contemplating my existence in a mosquito net" kind of vibe?
Okay, so… neither. It's more like… 'organized chaos'. Seriously. The common area? Constantly filled with a mix of people loudly planning their adventures, someone furiously typing on a laptop fueled by questionable instant coffee, and maybe one or two forlorn-looking souls wrestling with their existential dread. There's a little bar, which *sometimes* fosters spontaneous sing-alongs (mostly off-key, but enthusiastic!), but it's not a rager. The dorms… well, let's just say earplugs are your friend. Especially if you end up in the one next to "the snorer." (He shall remain Nameless, but he could rival a Harley Davidson.)
Speaking of dorms, what are they like? Cramped? Clean? Haunted by the ghosts of sweaty backpacks past?
Cramped-ish, clean-ish, and only *maybe* haunted by the aforementioned sweaty backpacks. Honestly, the cleanliness really depends on who the other guests are. Sometimes you luck out with neat-freak types, other times… well, let's just say the smell of forgotten socks can linger. However, the beds themselves are surprisingly comfy. And the air-con? Glorious. *Especially* when you've just spent a day sweating your way through temples. That's the real win.
The staff… are they actually helpful, or just there to collect a paycheck and judge you from behind the counter?
They’re… a mixed bag. There's this one girl, who's name escapes me but she always wore a flowy dress and had the kindest eyes, who knew *everything*. From the best street food spots, to the secret tailors, to where to get the *best* massage (seriously, find her, she's a magician). Then there was another one, who appeared to actively dislike all human beings. I think he was secretly a lizard person. But! Overall, they're helpful. Sometimes, the lizard person would crack a smile, and it was a good day. They’ll help you book buses, give directions (even if the directions are a bit vague), and generally try to sort you out. Just don’t expect five-star concierge service. Think more… friendly local with a slight language barrier and a good sense of humor.
Food, Glorious Food! Breakfast included? What's the deal?
Breakfast? Yes! Included! (Score!) It’s basic, but does the job. Think toast, jam, fruit… and, of course, the all-important instant coffee. (Hey, it works!). Frankly, after a night of questionable street food and questionable decisions, I was rarely in a position to judge the culinary quality. But it filled the void. And more importantly, it set you up for a day of adventures. Or, at least, getting out of bed. Trust me, the coffee is essential.
Okay, the location. Near the Thai Embassy is good and all, but is it *actually* near anything *else* fun?
YES! Okay, so the Thai Embassy is right there, which is convenient if you are planning a visa run. It’s also super close to the night market, which is a sensory overload of delicious smells and questionable souvenirs. You can find everything from silk scarves to knock-off designer handbags (don't judge, I bought one...). Plus, there are loads of local restaurants within walking distance, serving up some of the best Lao food you'll ever eat. (Try the Laap! Just... be careful with the chilli.) And the Mekong River? A quick walk away for sunset views and some of the best people-watching ever. Absolute gold.
Give me the lowdown on the showers. Always a crucial question.
The showers… ah, the showers. Let’s just say they are “functional.” Sometimes the water is hot, sometimes it’s cold, and sometimes it’s lukewarm, leaving you feeling vaguely damp. Pressure varies wildly, too. But hey, it's a backpacker hostel! You're not expecting the Ritz. I learned to embrace it. It’s all part of the adventure, right? (Okay, maybe not always. Especially after a day sweating like a pig in the markets... But still.)
Tell me about a memorable experience you had *personally*
Alright, so, brace yourself. This is going to be… a saga. I'm a terrible planner, you see. I booked this hostel, assuming I'd be in and out. But I ended up staying a *week*. Because… well, let’s just say I got utterly, completely, head-over-heels *hooked* on this hostel. There was this one day, though, when it truly cemented its place in my heart. I'd spent the morning wandering around the Patuxai monument, completely lost and sunburnt, then wandered into a cafe and accidentally ordered a chilli-infused iced coffee. My mouth was a blazing inferno, and I was about ready to cry tears of spicy-coffee-induced agony. I stumbled back to the hostel, desperate. I found my flowy-dress-wearing angel receptionist and – this is the important bit – she simply *knew*. She ran to the kitchen, grabbed a bowl of sticky rice and a bottle of water, and saved me. It sounds dramatic, but in that moment, it was the most delicious sticky rice *ever*. That's the moment I realized it wasn't just a hostel – it was a haven. And the next morning, I took that girl to a coffee shop, and we had a good laugh.
Anything I should pack, or not pack?
Pack: Earplugs (trust me), a padlock for your locker, a good book (for when you're staring at the ceiling at 3 am thanks to the snorer), mosquito repellent (essential), a universal travel adapter,Hotel Hop Now

