
Battambang's BEST Kept Secret: Mom's Amazing Homestay!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea on Battambang's BEST Kept Secret, Mom's Amazing Homestay. I'm talking about a place so good, so authentic, so refreshingly not pretentious, that you'll want to elbow your way out of the tuk-tuk, ditch your bags, and just live there.
Let's be real, planning a trip is exhausting. You're juggling flight deals, visa applications, and trying to find a decent Pad Thai without getting a side of food poisoning. That’s where Mom's comes in, a damn lifesaver. Now, before I get lost in a gushing love letter (which I'm totally about to), let’s get down to the nitty-gritty. Because, you know, I'm a travel reviewer, and I must appear professional. Even if I'm actually just a sleep-deprived travel enthusiast fueled by copious amounts of Cambodian coffee.
Accessibility & Safety: Because Let's Be Safe, Not Sorry
Okay, first off, Accessibility. Now, this is where it gets a tiny bit…hmmm…Southeast Asian. While the website claims to have facilities for disabled guests, I'd recommend contacting them directly. It's the kind of place that tries and means well, but you know… sometimes a doorway is just that tiny bit too narrow or those stairs a bit too…steep? This is about honesty! While it's not explicitly wheelchair accessible, it's Cambodia, things are what they are. Get in touch; they'll probably do their best to help.
As for Cleanliness and safety: This is where Mom's shines. We're talking Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, staff trained in Safety protocol, and Rooms sanitized between stays. Post-Covid, this is hugely important. They also have Hand sanitizer everywhere you look, and you know, that's comforting. They're also rocking CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property, which is reassuring when you're wandering around Battambang. Oh, and Smoke alarms and Fire extinguisher – good stuff. They also provide First aid kit.
Seriously, I felt safer there than I do in my own apartment! (And my apartment is protected by a vicious cat. So, yeah.)
Internet & Connectivity: Stay Connected, But Don't Live Glued to Your Phone (Probably)
Alright, the important stuff: Internet. And YES! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! The sacred grail. And look, the Internet is decent! More than enough for checking emails, posting Insta-worthy pictures and the important stuff. You can actually get some Internet access – LAN if you need, too. The Wi-Fi in public areas is also good, so you can procrastinate in the lobby with a delicious coffee.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: Food Glorious Food! (Seriously, Mom's Knows Food)
Okay, this is where things get really good. Forget your diet. Forget your willpower. This is Cambodia!
The Restaurant: This isn't your standard hotel restaurant. Mom's has one, and it serves AMAZING Asian cuisine. Think fresh, vibrant, and bursting with flavor. There's also a Vegetarian restaurant, bless them!
Breakfast: Oh. My. Goodness. The Breakfast [buffet] is a feast! It's got everything you need to fuel a day of temple hopping: fresh fruit, pancakes, and all kinds of delicious Cambodian treats. And you can have Breakfast in room.
Coffee/Tea: They have a coffee shop! Godsend, I tell you. The coffee is strong, the iced tea is refreshing, and the people-watching is prime.
Alternatives: Alternative meal arrangement is available, the food is actually cooked by Mom, always fresh, and always amazing.
Poolside Bar: There's a Poolside bar! I mean, come on. You can get a cocktail, a snack, and bask in the glorious Battambang sun. Happy hour is a beautiful thing.
Other: They have a A la carte in restaurant, Bottle of water, Desserts in restaurant, Poolside bar, Room service [24-hour] -- you get the idea. They got you.
I remember one morning, I was ridiculously hungover from the evening's happy hour, and they brought breakfast to my room (thank you, angels!) alongside a fresh juice and some Ibuprofen. Best. Morning. Ever.
Rooms & Amenities: Your Home Away From…Home?
Okay, so the rooms themselves are…charming. Not sterile, cookie-cutter hotel rooms, but warm and inviting.
- * Everything you could need: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains (crucial for sleeping off a hangover), Coffee/tea maker, Desk, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, In-room safe box, Ironing facilities, Linens, Mini bar, Private bathroom, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. It has everything you could possibly need.
- * The little things: Complimentary tea is in your room. Always welcome. And yes, they gave me an Umbrella as well.
I stayed in a room with a sofa, and the whole room was very clean, and charming and cozy. The perfect place to relax after a day of sightseeing.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Unwind and Explore
This is where Mom's really surprised me. It’s not just a place to stay; it’s a springboard for adventure.
The Pool: Let's start with the obvious: the Swimming pool [outdoor]. And yes, it totally is beautiful. Pool with view, even. Picture this: you, a book, a cocktail (thanks, poolside bar!), and a sun-drenched afternoon. Pure bliss.
Spa Services: Massage is available, and it is AMAZING. They also have a Sauna and a Spa/sauna.
Other relaxations: Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath.
Other perks? Indoor venue for special events, Outdoor venue for special events, and a terrace where you can enjoy the sunset.
* Getting around: Airport transfer, Car park [free of charge]. Seriously, the location is brilliant.
* Services and conveniences: They also have a Concierge, Currency exchange.
Services & Conveniences: Because Life is Easier When Someone Else Does the Work
Mom's is all about making your life easy. They've got your back.
- * Everything: Daily housekeeping, Laundry service, Dry cleaning, Car park [on-site], Luggage storage, Front desk [24-hour], Concierge, Food delivery.
For the Kids
- Family/child friendly, Babysitting service, Kids meal. So, this is a great option that will keep the entire family content.
My Anecdote: The One That Made Me a Believer
Okay, so here's what sold me on Mom's. I was on a solo trip, feeling a bit burnt out from endless temple-hopping in Siem Reap. I arrived at Mom's, frazzled and cranky. The staff, though, were the friendliest, kindest people I'd met in Cambodia. They welcomed me with a fresh fruit juice and a genuine smile. I ended up chatting with the owner (who is, in fact, a Mom!) for like, an hour. She gave me tips on where to find the best street food, regaled me with stories about her family, and made me feel like I was visiting a long-lost relative. It was…powerful.
That evening, I ordered room service (because, why not?). The food arrived promptly, expertly prepared, and ridiculously affordable. I sat on my balcony, with views over the lush gardens and took in the sounds of the city. It was perfect. And I knew, in that moment, that Mom's was more than just a hotel; it was a home.
The Verdict: Why You NEED to Book (Right Now!)
Mom's Amazing Homestay is not just a hotel; it's an experience. It's a perfect blend of comfort, genuine hospitality, and a gateway to the magic of Battambang. Here’s why you should book RIGHT NOW:
- Authenticity: You're not going to find this kind of genuine experience at a chain hotel.
- The Food: Seriously, the food alone is worth the trip.
- The Value: It's incredibly affordable for what you get.
- The People: The staff are angels. Pure

Alright, buckle up, because this isn't your perfectly curated Instagram travel feed. This is the REAL DEAL. My Battambang, Cambodia, adventure, at Mother's Homestay, is about to get messy. My brain is already somewhere between “overwhelmed with beauty” and “did I really just leave my phone in a tuk-tuk AGAIN?”
Subject: Mother's Homestay & Battambang: A Rambling Itinerary of Glorious Chaos
Day 1: Arriving (and Already Messing Up)
Morning (8:00 AM): Landed in Siem Reap. After a chaotic flight, made it to the airport. Oh God, the humidity! I swear, it hits you like a warm, damp blanket. Immediately regretting my "smart" decision to wear jeans on the plane. Okay, deep breaths.
- Anecdote: The taxi driver on the way to the Homestay was already trying to sell me a boat tour. I’m a sucker. I said yes. Ugh. I should have paced myself. My wallet is going to cry.
Early Afternoon (12:00 PM): Arrived at Mother's Homestay in Battambang (thank GOD for the tuk-tuk - SO MUCH CHEAPER than the airport transfer!). It looks even better in person. Honestly, a little slice of paradise. The air is different here, fresher than the mega cities I'm acustomed to. Mother herself (I assume she's the Mother everyone raves about) is super friendly and welcoming. I already feel… calmer. Maybe it's the lush garden, the gentle breeze. I need this.
Afternoon (2:00 PM): Checked in, and found my room (simple, clean, AC!). Decided to unpack, and then eat some street food. I'm now covered in questionable red sauce, but I'm alive, and it was delicious!
- Quirky Observation: The water bottles here are practically an art form. Every shop has a different brand, different size, different label. Seriously, I could write a thesis on Southeast Asian bottled water.
Late Afternoon (4:00 PM): Wandering around the town. Battambang is stunning, and, dare I say, charming? I could get used to this. Wat Ek Phnom is beautiful and even though it was scorching hot on the way there, it was so worth it.
- Emotional Reaction: I felt a wave of something…peace? Relief? No, probably just the adrenaline wearing off. But still. I need this.
Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner at a riverside restaurant. I splurged on the Amok (of course). Absolutely divine. Sat there watching the sunset, feeling strangely…content.
Day 2: The Bamboo Train & Overwhelming Beauty
- Morning (8:30 AM): Failed at waking up early to see the sunrise. Blame jet lag and the lure of the bed.
- Morning (10:00 AM): Bamboo train time!
- Opinionated Language: OMG, the bamboo train. Not a smooth ride. But it was… amazing. Like, slightly terrifying, exhilarating amazing. I need a drink, but I don't want to ruin this feeling.
- Midday (12:00 PM): Lunch near the train station. I swear, I’m eating more than I normally do. Delicious fried rice, fresh fruit shakes… I’m probably going to need a bigger suitcase.
- Afternoon (1:30 PM): Phare, the Cambodian Circus! People rave about it, it can't be that good. It was… everything people said it was and MORE. The acrobats, the music, the stories… I’m still trying to process it all. The whole experience was completely mesmerizing, from the storytelling to the beautiful costumes.
- Messy Structure & Ramble: Seriously, the circus. It's like they channeled all of Cambodia's pain and beauty into a two-hour performance. And then… there’s the emotional side. I cried a bit. Okay, a lot. I’m a mess. The raw emotion of the performers was just… wow.
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM): Back to Mother's. Time to decompress. And maybe order another fruit shake.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Sunset drinks by the river. Watching the bats leave their caves. I’m starting to feel like a local.
Day 3: Temples & Troubles & Tuktuks (oh my!)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Attempted to visit a temple. I made an error! Apparently, you shouldn't wear a t-shirt that's too revealing. I had to wrap a scarf around my shoulders. Oh well. I am going to need to brush up on my temple etiquette.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): Back to the restaurant, and I may have ordered the Amok again. And the fresh spring rolls. And another shake. Just… everything.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): Attempted to do a cooking class. I forgot to book, so I had to settle for a shop.
- Anecdote: I got spectacularly lost in a tuk-tuk, and it took me forever to figure out how to get back to the hotel. But the tuk-tuk driver was a true gentleman.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Back at the hotel, had dinner with Mother. She's absolutely lovely.
Day 4: Departure (with a Heavy Heart)
- Morning (9:00 AM): Goodbye. Or, "See you later," because I'm already planning my return.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: Leaving Mother's Homestay and Battambang is surprisingly hard. I've fallen in love with this place, with the people, with the pace of life. I feel more… myself here.
- Morning (10:00 AM): Tuk-tuk to the bus station.
- Midday (12:00 PM): The bus is late. (Classic). Time for a final iced coffee. Praying I don’t spill it all over myself.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): Off to Siem Reap, for a bit. Until the next adventure.
Final Thoughts:
This itinerary isn’t perfect. It’s messy. It’s full of mistakes and moments of pure joy. But that, my friends, is the beauty of Battambang. Go. Get lost. Eat everything. And let yourself be amazed.
Willow Studio Leeds: Your Dream Photoshoot Awaits!
Mom's Amazing Homestay: Battambang's "Secret" (Shhh!) - FAQ, Honestly.
Okay, but REALLY...is Mom's Amazing Homestay *actually* amazing? Or is it all just, like, Instagram hype?
Alright, look. I went there expecting, you know? The perfectly staged photos, the sponsored reviews. The usual. But... Mom. My God, Mom. This woman is a force of nature wrapped in a flowery Khmer shirt. I'm serious. She greets you with a hug – a real, squeeze-you-until-your-ribs-crack hug. And the food? Forget what you think you know about Cambodian food. It's elevated, intensely flavorful, and Mom *never* lets your plate go empty. Seriously, I think I gained five pounds just looking at the menu. Instagram hype? Nope. This is next-level hospitality, folks. Warning: May result in extreme happiness and a sudden craving for fish amok.
What's the actual *homestay* part like? Is it a five-star resort wearing a peasant disguise?
Okay, let's be real. It's not a fancy resort. It's a *home*. A beautiful, vibrant, slightly chaotic home. Think clean rooms, comfortable beds (thank the heavens, after those bus rides!), and a general feeling of being enveloped in warmth. The bathroom? Perfectly functional. The air conditioning? Blessedly effective in Battambang's heat. Expect a bit of the regular sounds of life… chickens in the distance, maybe some kids playing; It’s not the Four Seasons, it’s better! And the best part is, you're living with Mom and her family, so get ready for some serious cultural immersion. It’s not staged; she'll actually just try to show you around the local market, show you her garden or even try to make you learn a few Khmer words after you've already been there for a couple days. I think I was able to say “Thank you” by the end of it, and she was so happy!
The food. Everyone raves about the food. What's the deal? (And can I get seconds?)
The food is legendary. Truly. Fish Amok? Unforgettable. Fresh spring rolls so good they make you want to weep with joy? Absolutely. Mom’s cooking is not only delicious but also incredibly authentic, with recipes passed down through generations. And yes, you can get seconds! And thirds! And maybe even a sneaky fourth plate when no one is looking... I may or may not have been guilty of this. Be warned: You WILL leave stuffed. You WILL need to loosen your belt. And you WILL dream about her lemongrass chicken for weeks afterward. Oh, and she always seemed to know how much I needed more rice without me even having to ask…it's like she has magic rice-sensing powers.
How's the location? Is it easy to get around to see the sights?
Location-wise, you're perfectly situated. It's not right in the thick of the tourist mayhem, which is a HUGE plus. You get that authentic Battambang experience but are still easily accessible to the Bamboo Train (a must-do!), the Phnom Sampov caves (spooky and awesome!), and the town centre. Mom can help you arrange tuk-tuks or provide recommendations. Honestly, I don't even remember any bad traffic - which is a miracle, Battambang felt like a sanctuary. She really knows the area inside and out, which is a lifesaver.
What if I’m a picky eater? Will I starve?
Okay, Mr. or Ms. Picky-Pants. I get it. Been there. But Mom is accommodating. *Very* accommodating. She wants you to enjoy the food. Talk to her beforehand about any dietary restrictions or preferences. She'll do her best to tailor the meals to your needs. She's not a miracle worker (though she might seem like it), but she's genuinely invested in making sure you have a good experience. Even if you only eat plain rice and boiled chicken (bless your heart), you won't starve. Just… maybe try the fish amok anyway. Just a tiny bite. You won’t regret it, I promise.
Is it noisy? I need my beauty sleep!
Battambang in general isn't super loud, so you're usually okay. It depends on the room, but I found the nights to be pretty peaceful. Some roosters might crow (that’s Southeast Asia, baby!), but it wasn’t a constant noise. The biggest potential distraction will be the urge to stay up chatting with Mom and the other guests until the wee hours. That happened to me almost every day! But the beds, even if the roosters are awake, will pull you into dreamland in no time.
What's the vibe? Am I going to feel awkwardly like a stranger in someone's house?
Absolutely not. The vibe is warm, welcoming, and genuinely friendly. Mom treats you like family. You'll be chatting with other guests at the dinner table, sharing stories (and food!), and laughing until your sides ache. Seriously, I made some friends there that I still talk to today. It's that kind of place. It's not the swanky, impersonal experience of a hotel. It embodies the meaning of homestay. The only awkwardness you might feel is when you have to say goodbye. Because trust me, you won't want to leave. I wanted to stay forever!
So...is it worth the hype? Should I book it *right now*?
Look. Yes. Absolutely, unequivocally YES. Are you looking for an authentic, incredibly delicious, heartwarming experience? If you are even thinking about going to Battambang, you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t try to book Mom’s Amazing Homestay. It’s not just a place to sleep; it's an experience. It's a taste of real Cambodian life. It’s a chance to connect with incredible people. It’s a story you'll be telling for years to come. Just...try to book in advance. It's not *exactly* a secret anymore. And tell Mom I said hi. She'll remember you...and what you ate. And maybe force you to eat more. But you’ll like it.

